Teen Had a Shard of Glass Stuck in His Face for a Month Without Knowing It

A teenage kid in Spain had a knife-like fragment of glass stuck in his face for weeks after he fell under a window. Above, a 3D CT-scan of the kid’s skull revealing the glass fragment behind his cheekbone (arrows).

Credit: Reprinted with consent of Elsevier (2019)

A teenage kid in Spain had a knife-like fragment of glass stuck in his face for a month without understanding it, after he passed out and fell under a window, according to a brand-new report of the case.

The 14- year-old kid went to the emergency clinic after experiencing discomfort while chewing and problem opening his jaw for about a month, according to the report, from physicians at the Virgen del Rocio University Medical facility in Seville, and released June 21 in The Journal of Emergency Situation Medication

The kid stated that, about 4 weeks previously, he had actually hurt his face when he crashed into a glass window after passing out. At that time, physicians at a various healthcare facility had actually sutured a 1-centimeter (0.4 inch) injury on his cheek, and drained pipes a hematoma— or a collection of blood outside a capillary– that was on his face.

However they might have missed out on something. When the ER physicians at Virgen del Rocio University Medical facility bought an X-ray, it revealed a faint, rectangle-shaped things about 3.5 cm (1.4 inches) in length on the left side of the kid’s face. [12 Amazing Images in Medicine]

That led physicians to purchase a CT scan, and the scan exposed a foreign body “which had the shape of a knife blade” concealed behind the kid’s cheekbone, the authors composed in their paper.

The penetration of a foreign body into this area “is a fairly unusual occasion” due to the fact that the location is well safeguarded by the cheekbone, the authors stated.

The kid required surgical treatment to eliminate the glass, which physicians drawn out through his mouth from the underside of the kid’s cheek.

After the surgical treatment, the kid had the ability to move his jaw once again, and he had no issues after 6 months of follow-up, the report stated.

Initially released on Live Science